02 December 2012

I'm Not Good Enough

We've all heard a lie or told a lie.  Some of the more common lies we are familiar with are:

  • The check is in the mail.
  • I'll start my diet tomorrow.
  • We service what we sell.
  • Give me your number and the doctor will call you right back.
  • This offer limited to the first 100 people who call in.
  • Your luggage isn't lost, it's only misplaced.
  • Leave your resume and we'll keep it on file.
  • This hurts me more than it hurts you.
  • I just need five minutes of your time.

But, a very common and destructive lie that Satan has plagued so many Christians with is “I’m simply not good enough.” If we were to be honest with ourselves, many of us have battled Satan’s lie or are even still harassed by it.

Moses is one of my heroes of the bible.  In Exodus 4, God Himself called on Moses to deliver His people from bondage. Moses felt the same way many of us feel when facing that kind of a moment: he felt ‘not good enough.’

Moses replied to the Lord in verse 10, “Oh, Lord, I’ve never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue.”  In other words, he was telling God, “I am not good enough.”

Moses was battling with this lie just like many of us do.  In verses 11-13, God speaks truth to Moses, but, Moses’ own sense of inadequacy was speaking even louder.  God responded: “Who gave human beings their mouths? Who makes them deaf or mute? Who gives them sight or makes them blind? Is it not I, the Lord?  Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say.”

This is where we would expect Moses to relent, “Okay, that settles it.  God’s in on it.  God’s going to deliver…nothing to worry about!”  But, to the contrary, Moses mutters “please send someone else.”

Too many of us have bought into Satan’s crafty lie that has led us to some dangerous, and false, conclusions about our lives such as, “Since I’m not good enough, I can’t make a difference….Why even try? …I’m average, and I fail at everything I do.”

You are not the sum total of your past experiences.  You are not the opinions of others.  You are not what happened to you in the past.  You are WHO God says that you are.  So, whenever that lie creeps into your thoughts, replace it with truth.

The truth is what God says about you.

What does God say about you?

God says you are called by Christ.  I Peter 5:10, “And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ.”

God also says you are complete in Christ.  II Peter 1:3 says that “His divine power has given us everything we need.”

Money, things, and people don’t complete you.  Christ does.

Are you missing something?  Find it in Christ.

Need peace?  In Christ, you find a peace that the world doesn't even know anything about.

Assurance?  He is your assurance.

Strength?  His strength is made perfect in your weakness.

Blessings?  Blessings that are eternal far outweigh the things of this world.

Comfort?  He comforts like a mother comforts her child.

Whenever you see the word ‘complete’ used in the New Testament, most of the time it comes from a Greek word that refers to a ship. It means a ship that is fully manned.  In other words, the ship has everything that is needed to get to the next destination.  So, think of your life like that.  You’re the ship; Jesus is the captain.  He’ll make the wind blow your sails whenever necessary.  And, everything you need, He will provide.

You are complete in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get widget